Saturday, July 23, 2011

VT Places: Tower Trail on Gile Mountain

As I previously mentioned, we spent the morning of July 4th on a hike. What I didn't mention was where the hike took us.


gilemttowertrail


This 0.68 mile switchback trail in Norwich, VT, takes you to a 413 feet tall fire tower, now abandoned, that was used to survey forest fires. At the top, the panoramic view is incredible--it will be a prime spot to view October's fall colors (oh yes, I will return). You can see much of the Connecticut River Valley with Mount Ascutney (S) and Killington's ski trails (SW), the Green Mountains of Vermont (W) and the White Mountains of New Hampshire (N). [sourcesource, and source].

I love that this hike is short and family friendly--family friendly only if you're brave. Just look at the size of that tower.



gilemt2

I'm so proud of my sweaty, mop-haired two-year-old. (His mom doesn't have the guts to cut his hair.) He hiked the whole way up: the trail and the tower. Poor kid kept asking, "Up, up, up! Pick up? Me! Up!" on the hike down. He was all tuckered out once we returned to our car--what a clever outdoor activity to wipe out toddler energy, huh?

I'm thinking of making this hike a new Fourth of July tradition. Care to join us?