Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer Afternoon

July2011 667A


--Summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. -Henry James



July2011 653A



As much as I'm yearning for my favorite time of the year to begin (hint: think spiced cider donuts, fiery-colored leaves, and jackets made of tweed), it will be hard for me to leave these lazy summer afternoons.

Summer afternoons remind me of the good things in life. In my mind, they are personal moments of repose such as watching my children frolicking about on the lawn. Quintessential moments like these must be captured and remembered.

Not the ones of screaming mouths simultaneously demanding the breakfast eggs to cook a little faster.
No, not ones of curious brown smudges written on clean bed sheets after an afternoon's nap.
Nor the ones of everyday destruction in practically every room of the house.
And definitely not the ones of my mental breakdowns on the stairs, crying my eyes out, because I feel overwhelmed at the responsibility to teach, discipline, restrain my anger, feed, clean, and entertain--all because I want to be a good parent.

No, these moments were not captured, so it's up to those summer afternoons of perfection to escape the drama.

And possibly making it all worth it.

July2011 681A

July2011 662A