Thursday, August 18, 2011

Spelling Lesson

My husband owns a gob amount of T-shirts--like a major plethora of 'em. His vast T-shirt collection drives me up the wall the same way King Triton gets after Ariel for her "Under the Sea" trinkets she keeps in her grotto. (Wouldn't it be super cool to own a trident of mass destruction? With one swoosh, I could get rid of his entire closet!) The Boy could care less about all my threats since he believes he "looks good" in anything. Including nasty T-shirts.

Anyway, so Boy owns a T-shirt that hails from the great city of Toledo, Ohio. Oddly enough, I like this T-shirt and also the people who gave it to him as a birthday gift. This shirt is worn frequently enough that I thought it would be simple finding a photograph of him wearing it. This is the best one I got:

Aug2010 017
As you can see, this photo is really bad at capturing the shirt, but a darn good one of Huck Finn's hair.

Okay, so here's a better one of the shirt:

August2011 246



I wanted to explain my true feelings about Boy's T-shirts because the story I'm about to share might lead one to think that I support his hoarding issue. I'm not about to champion his T-shirts, but I'm willing to go on the record to say that the T-shirt fetish may be helping our two-year-old to spell. I say that warily.

How do you spell cherries?

According to the kid, it's not C-H-E-R-R-I-E-S. Duh, that would be too easy.

If you ask him, he'll point his finger at his dad's shirt and will recite the letters in an orderly fashion: M-O-N-N-E-T-T-E-S. After he's done, he'll be quite pleased with himself and moves his finger across the word he just spelled and will say, "cherries!"

Smart boy. That'll be five points for Gryffindor. And it's a good thing too, because I had wondered if those expensive DHA prenatal pills were going to be worth it.

T-shirts may be staying here for another ten years if this keeps up any longer.



*POST EDIT:
I found a better one. It just so happens that this T-shirt was worn on the day Boy popped the question. How could I forget? (Photograph taken after the eventful hike to the Lower Calf Creek Falls within the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.)

DSC00447