Friday, August 31, 2012

Family (x2) Reunion

I don't know why sitting down at the computer to type a short ditty on summer vacation drains the very life from me--it just happened to be the case this time. Never mind the usual few photos per post--this time I've gone crazy. My kids' grandparents like to be involved in our lives...can I blame them? I might just stop blogging if it were not for them--writing for my own pleasure has woefully taken a backseat these days.

It was only a short while ago that we sailed away on a plane bound for Utah; the four of us filled a row of seats and quietly sat in anticipation to see loved ones we hadn't seen for 18 months. Seeing the familiar rising mountains of the Wasatch Front made my heart jump. Utah's dry heat had my naturally curly hair shouting for joy. When was the last time I had a good hair day? I can't remember. Two weeks later (ever so quickly because those 14 days were jam-packed with family-bonding goodness), we were back home to the green leafy goodness of the Upper Valley--filling our lungs with wet muggy air and adjusting ourselves back to our muted rural solitude.

Two weeks seems like plenty of time, but when you divide the time with 26 people on Boy's side of the family and 18 on mine, vacation time turns into an agenda: Lake Powell one week, camping in American Fork canyon the other. Family can be so demanding, you know?

The kidlets had a blast.

Their parents nearly keeled over in fatigue.

But, oh, was it worth it.

WEEK ONE:




 ***********
WEEK TWO:




Going to visit our roots is essential and much needed, but it ain't easy (and there's never enough time) to reconnect with all of those we love.

See ya next year, Utah. When? Who knows. I'll keep ya posted.