Monday, April 2, 2012

Boston in a Day

If I were to spend a day in Boston, I would:

Pack my car with a stroller, two little ones, and a bag full of snacks...
Pick up a sister and brother-in-law who I haven't seen in a year...
Take a stroll through Boston Common...
Follow the Freedom Trail and feel all patriotic...
Visit colonial graveyards: stare at the winged skull headstones, recite from memory those Mother Goose rhymes, and chuckle to myself upon seeing the empty cup of beer paying homage to the late Samuel Adams...


Appreciate beautiful architecture...
Watch my footing while walking on the uneven cobblestone streets...
Stand at the site of the Boston Massacre and ponder about American freedom...
Breathe in the Atlantic sea air--imagine the infamous night when crates of tea were thrown out into Boston Harbor...


Watch my three-year-old have the time of his life chasing a flock of pigeons strutting across the street from the Old South Meeting House...
Share a bag of a half dozen bagels at Bruegger's. Save the green St. Patty's flavored one for the little people...
Notice people passing by you with little white boxes in hand as you walk on Hanover Street...
Get yourself one of those white boxes from Mike's Pastry and fill it with cannoli and a lobster tail...


Watch that same three-year-old boy drive some of his favorite Hot Wheels on the brick-paved Freedom Trail...
Tell my aching feet to keep walking...
Spot a golden grasshopper on the tippy top of Faneuil Hall (unique, quirky, and very cool)...
Eat a burger at Cheers--because everybody there knows your name...
Call my husband after his long day of work to let him know how glorious my day was--and let him know that I saved him the much-envied cream-filled lobster tail in my little white box...
Drive another two hours with two more passengers in the car, excitedly looking forward to having guests in my home.
IMG_1317A


And that's just scratching the surface. Big cities, oh how I love them.