Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

I watched the news this morning and felt American patriotism. I'm fascinated and moved by the stories of the brave.

image via msnbc.com, Amy Sancetta/ AP
image via msnbc.com, Gary Hershorn/ Reuters
Where was I ten years ago?

I was beginning my third year of college. 
The world I lived in changed after a phone call from my roommate's mother asking me to turn on the TV.
My mind was numb.
I realized I was late to class...why, oh, why did I go to class?
Rushed back to my apartment afterward and didn't leave my couch for several hours:
  • Massive plumes of smoke above the city skyline.
  • Grown men crying.
  • People jumping off buildings.
  • Empty streets caked with white ash looking as though it'd been hit by a nuclear bomb.
  • People of all ages in the Middle East dancing in the streets, making a "V" with their fingers, throwing candy, and honking the horn while driving cars down the street.
I was twenty years old. I had never felt so scared in my life.

My dad called to see if I was okay.
My mom was in Arizona--her flight was supposed to leave the next day.
I returned to campus by the time the ROTC was lowering the flag for the day. "The Star Spangled Banner" sounded over the campus speakers and everyone within earshot was frozen still with hands over hearts.

Ten years later, I still remember.